Housing issues

You can arrange your accommodation yourself or get accommodation assistance from the Migration Service. If you decide to arrange your accommodation yourself, you will have to pay the rent yourself.

Do not forget to inform the staff of the Migration Service of your address if you are organizing your own accommodation.

If you have asked for help in finding housing, you do not have the right to independently determine in which region of the country you should live.

Those who cannot find housing on their own are entitled to help from the Swedish Migration Agency both while waiting for a decision and after receiving a decision in accordance with the Temporary Refugee Protection Directive.

You can say you need help with housing when you apply for a residence permit or later.

If you initially found housing on your own, but suddenly your situation has changed and you now need help with housing, you should contact the Swedish Migration Agency by visiting the reception office of one of the Swedish Migration Agency's service centers or an office that accepts applications under the Directive on temporary protection of refugees.


You cannot independently choose your place of residence

If you apply for housing assistance, you do not have the right to choose where you live, you can get the housing that is available. After you inform the Swedish Migration Agency that you need help with housing, they will immediately start looking for a municipality that can offer you housing. If you have been living in Sweden for some time and have a job or your children have already gone to school, the Swedish Migration Agency will try to arrange accommodation for you in the municipality in which you already live, but cannot guarantee that this will be possible. Most likely, you will have to move to another municipality.

The housing search can take up to one month before you receive a settlement offer from the municipality. While the search is ongoing, you can live in one of the temporary residence centers of the Swedish Migration Agency. If you refuse the offer offered to you by the municipality, you can arrange your accommodation yourself.


Different types of housing

Both housing from the Swedish Migration Agency and housing offered by the municipality can be of different types. It can be a separate apartment with its own kitchen, or it can be a room where you will share the kitchen with several other people, or a living space where you will have to eat in the dining room.

Those who need help can expect to share a room with other people. A family can always live together. Single people can share a room with other people of the same sex, and people with special needs can live separately. Pets are often not allowed in accommodation that must be shared with other people.


Housing that meets needs

You may be entitled to accommodation adapted to your needs if you are in a particularly vulnerable situation. For example, this applies to people who have a disability, suffer from physical or mental illnesses, belong to the LGBT community, as well as pregnant and elderly people. Inform the Migration Board about your needs as soon as possible, and we will do our best to find the best accommodation for you.


Accommodation must be paid for if you have your own money

If you have your own money, for example if you work or if you have other assets, you must pay for the accommodation you receive from the Migration Board or the municipality. The amount you have to pay depends on, among other things, whether meals are served in the accommodation.

Tell the Migration Board about your financial situation when you apply for housing assistance. If it turns out that you have been earning money without notifying the Migration Board, you may have to pay housing compensation backdated. Therefore, inform the Migration Agency immediately if your financial situation changes.

In Sweden, there are different ways to rent a home, such as "första hand" (first move), "andra hand" (second move) and "inneboende" housing (living in the owner's home). Here are more details about each of them:

  1. Första hand (first move) : This is when you rent an apartment or house directly from the owner or from the management company. First move-in leases often involve longer-term contracts, and you have more rights and protections as a tenant. *Ukrainian refugees do not have a personal number, of which there are many
    Swedish private landlords are required.

  2. Andra hand (second movement) : This is when you rent a home from a tenant who is already renting it from the owner. A second move-in rental can be short-term or long-term, but is usually a less stable option because you may be dependent on the will of the tenant who is renting the property himself.

  3. Innebøende (living in the owner's house) : This is when you live in the house, together with the owner, who lives there at the same time. This usually means sharing a kitchen, bathroom, etc.

Today, there are many sites that help in finding housing in Sweden. Here are a few of the most popular:

1. Blocket (blocket.se): This is one of the largest sites in Sweden for buying, selling and renting various goods, including real estate. You will be able to find many offers for renting apartments, houses and other types of housing.

Blocket - Sweden's largest marketplace, cars, homes, furniture, etc

2. Hemnet (hemnet.se): This site specializes in selling and renting housing. It is popular among Swedes who are looking for both their own accommodation and rental accommodation.

Hemnet - Sweden's largest housing platform

3. Bostad Direkt (bostaddirekt.com): This is a real estate agency that specializes in apartments for rent in Swedish cities. They offer a wide selection of housing in different price categories.

Rent an apartment Stockholm, Gothenburg & Malmö - Bostad Direkt

These sites can be useful for finding accommodation in Sweden, but always check the adverts and research the conditions carefully before making any deals.

It is also useful to review thematic pages in Facebook groups, where residents of Sweden often post ads for housing rentals. Example,


In Sweden, paying a security deposit (deposit) is standard practice when renting an apartment and is part of the agreement between the tenant (you) and the owner or landlord. The security deposit is intended to secure the owner or lessor in case of possible damage to the property or non-fulfillment of the terms of the lease agreement. It is a type of guarantee that protects the interests of the owner or lessor.

The amount of the security deposit can vary depending on various factors, such as the amount of rent, the length of the tenancy and the policies of the particular owner or landlord. It usually amounts to one to three monthly rent payments.

After the end of the lease term and moving out of the apartment, if the apartment remains in a condition suitable for further use and all the terms of the contract have been fulfilled, the deposit is returned to the tenant. However, if there is any damage or breach of contract, the owner or landlord can use the security deposit to cover the damage or the cost of restoring the property.

Before paying the security deposit, it is important to carefully read the terms of the lease and choose a reliable owner or lessor. It is also recommended to indicate the condition of the apartment in the deed of transfer-acceptance of the apartment, in order to avoid disputed situations regarding the return of the deposit after the end of the lease.

apartment, architecture, building-2179337.jpg
Scroll to Top